Chart work, Radar plotting and Secondary ports
Try my teaching videos!
WHO IS IT FOR?
Someone who is about to attend (or during) their OOW Yacht Nav and Radar written exam. Please note: This is not designed to replace your Nav and Radar, but to run alongside, as you need a valid course completion certificate.
Or you failed, sorry! Don’t beat yourself up, it’s a hard exam. There is also a lot to absorb in your 2 week Nav and Radar course, and some people just need more time. You can re-sit the exam one more time with the course completion certificate. The issue is, it can take a very long time to find out the result and resit. So if you failed this will 100% help you to get back on top of your game and pass confidently.
Or alternatively you are getting ready to sit your oral prep - they will ask this in your oral exam and some of you may be a little rusty.
WHY I CREATED IT?
Because it’s a hard subject and so many people fail.
How do you pre study for something that you have no idea about?
I found this course very hard to do the pre-study as a student and that no amount of books actually explained how to do the radar plotting. I don’t even want to tell you how confused I was on secondary ports before my OOW exams! In 2006 I only had to score 60% on both parts, however you guys now need to score 70%.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
My Nav and Radar App comes in two parts to match the exam system:
- Part A – Chart work, Radar plotting and Secondary ports
- Part B – Theory (Coming soon) which matches the syllabus
I have also split them in two sections to allow for flexibility as some people may not need assistance in both parts.
Watch my free videos Create an account and watch my full teaching for Part A of the written exam my full teaching for free! Plus fully worked typical exam questions together.
Then you need to download my Nav and Radar App – Part A (or B) from the apple store here
WHATS INSIDE THE NAV AND RADAR APP – PART A
- 10 fully worked exam style questions on each subject
- Clear set of notes that I personally wrote
- Chart work - understanding what needs to be shown and how not to make silly mistakes
- Radar plotting made easy; I am not a mathematician so I show you how to check your answers the easy way. I promise no hard maths!
- Secondary ports, we learnt this for RYA Yachtmaster and now you need to re learn it the MCA way
- How not to lose marks
- Recommendation on chart equipment – so can be as accurate as possible
- Links to paper charts
- Down loads to Radar plotting sheets, Deviation Card, Vertical sextant angle etc
- I teach using current exam style questions - Don’t forget I was a MCA Nav and Radar Teacher!
Nav and Radar is not an easy exam, however my concept is. If you have a Nav and Radar course booked and you don’t want to waste time or money by failing, then you need this App. This way you can hit the ground running and have the time to really understand the class/course. The best way to pass is to make sure you feel 100% confident with the parts we know are going to be in the exam. Chart work, Secondary ports and Radar are in every written exam!
For the students who failed - I found the guys who went back to school had to waste time on the subjects they were good at, and not enough time was spent on the subjects they were bad at. With my Nav and Radar app you can save yourself time and concentrate on what you need.
For the students about to do their Oral Exam – If you passed your Nav and Radar almost 3 years ago, they will ask you about Chart work, tides and radar plotting. What better way can you have than to re do the exam style questions to bring you back up to the right level. Obviously once you have your NOE you need to come and see me. More information at www.fredsoralprep.com or prefer to work at your speed then try my distance-learning app.